Tag Archives: claims

What are My Rights ?

Here are some answers to some frequent questions we receive:  

Question: What are my rights if I am injured in an accident?

Answer: Your rights vary depending on the type of accident and the circumstances surrounding the accident. If you are involved in an accident, you and your spouse may be entitled to compensation for not only your injuries but also damage to your property.

Question: What should I do to best preserve all of my rights?

Answer: To best preserve your rights, after you receive any required immediate medical treatment, you should contact an attorney to aid you in taking photographs of the scene of the accident, the injuries, or any vehicles or equipment involved. Your attorney can assist you in obtaining written statements from witnesses and notifying the correct insurance companies regarding the accident and the Department of Motor Vehicles. In some cases a notice of claim must be filed in a very limited time period. You should consult an attorney as soon as possible and only discuss your case with the insurance company adjuster after having the benefit of retained counsel. In addition, all efforts should be made to try to preserve any evidence involved.

Question: What can I do to help my legal case?

Answer: You should seek to document your accident as early as reasonably possible. Therefore, if you are injured in a location where accident reports are completed, you should make every effort to carefully fill out the report at the scene and retain a copy for your records

Question:  Will I have to pay an attorney?

Answer:  Generally, there is no legal fee to consult with an attorney and no legal fee unless you recover money by way of trial or settlement.

Question: Who pays my medical bills if I am involved in an accident?

Answer:  If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, generally no-fault insurance will pay your bills up to a certain limit.  If you are injured on the job, your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance company will pay the bills.

Question:  Should we contact an attorney if injured on the job?

Answer:  There may be a third-party claim as well as a Worker’s Compensation Claim.  Our office has had success in obtaining third-party recoveries in situations including Worker’s Compensation claims.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

You should feel free to contact our firm between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. weekdays at (631) 421-9051.  In the event of an after hours emergency and no one is present in the office, please call our service at 888-320-0251, they will notify us of your call, and we shall call you back as soon as possible.